Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default knotting solution

Fred wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:15:45 +0100, "Nick"
wrote:

A good coat of shellac perhaps. That's all (decent) knotting solution
is.

What colour is shellac? Is it what gives knotting solution it's brown
colour?

yes. Think French polish. (shellac + methylated spirits)

I found I had a tin of the ronseal in the garage. I must have bought
it to try and forgotten about it. It is water based a white, which is
why I wonder whether it is something other than shellac. The blurb on
the tin talks about advanced polymers etc. but that could just be the
marketing department talking.

I have tried some on the skirting board and architrave; I'll let you
know if it works but you will have to wait three years

Shellac bleaches well, hence the pale polishes and sanding sealers. It
also comes in various shades, garnet being the darkest, almost purple
colour.
Nothing water based is going to seal knots BTW