Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Cabinet Door

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:32:06 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/29/2012 10:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Oh, OK. But, still, it's amazing that it doesn't stick even during a
few minute rest on the fresh finish.

By the same token, dust is really not an issue either.

You should give gel stains and varnishes a try. Old Masters is a pretty
good brand, read and follow the directions on the can.

Or basically, apply how ever you want to do so and wipe off
"immediately". 10 or so minutes later wipe again with a fresh clean
cloth. Let dry 4~8 hours and repeat 2 or more times.

OK, now it sounds more realistic. I use Waterlox, also a wiping
varnish, but an oil-based liquid, not a gel. It could be used exactly
the way you described the _second_ time. Your first post indicated
that it was an apply/wipeoff one-time finish. Here you describe it
better.

And if I ever find something Waterlox doesn't work well on, I may give
Old Masters a try, but I'm not too keen on poly. Wiping varnishes have
the advantage that they -don't- feel plasticky, as brushed varnishes
do when they contain poly.

I tried Behlen's Rock Hard Tabletop varnish on my current dining set,
and it was OK, but I really prefer a less-glossy finish on most
everything. The 'hand' Waterlox gives is better, too. As an old
girlfriend described it, "It's like a good condom. You can still feel
the sensuous presence of the wood underneath." chuckle

--
You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau