Pop Rivet

Default 115V vs 220V

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
news
In article ,
LRod wrote:

An honestly rated single phase 2 HP motor on 230 volt power typically
draws 11.5 Amps full load current. If connected for 115 Volt, the max
current the motor can be rated to draw from a NEMA 5-15 duplex is 15
Amps. However the motor run to full load ratings could draw 23 Amps.

Been looking at lathes, specifically 3/4HP, all 1-phase induction, 110V.
One claims 6.6A. One claims 9A. One claims 9.8A and another claims 15A.
Some don't bother to list an amperage rating at all. Although there
maybe some efficiency differences, obviously some of these guys are
being really optimistic.

My 2HP TS is 9A@220 or 18A@110.

Lets not even get started on router HP claims or Shop-vacs.

I believe more and more that in this specific instance, the government
should lay down the lay with respect to advertising claims for HP. The
consumer has almost no way to compare machines.

Boy, did you hit on one of my pet peeves!! You're absolutely right to
question the intentions of larks like that. The one that's highest on my
list though is the way they rate vacuum cleaners the last few years: HP was
bad enough, but now they've switched to AMPS as an indication of a machine's
power and abilities. Totally bogus.

Pop