Posted to alt.home.repair
AJL AJL is offline

Default HOAs: "No solar panels for you"

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:39:59 -0400, "
wrote:

I didn't realize that ham antennas were excluded. Apparently only antennas
for commercial telecommunication services are included in the ban, ban.

Dumb.

Smart IMO.

While satellite dishes are small and unobtrusive, ham antennas can be
very very large and quite ugly (though most hams see them as quite
beautiful). However I'll bet most people here don't really want a 50
foot ham tower next door. And as was previously mentioned even though
the ham interference is usually caused by poorly designed consumer
electronics, that doesn't help the poor guy who is trying to use his
expensive flatscreen.

BTW I am a ham and have had those towers in the past at previous
houses. Quite frankly it was a hassle to me just hearing all the
neighbors complaints. Some as you might imagine got nasty. I was
blamed for every sort of interference, some even when I wasn't home.
It kind of took the enjoyment out of the hobby.

So when I bought this house, I didn't worry about the HOA antenna
restrictions. I decided to go with stealth antennas. I am still able
to work the world. Course it's not as easy as when I had the big
antenna, but it just takes a little more operator skill. I've been
here over ten years now and none of my neighbors is the wiser.

But I digress. I bought in a neighborhood protected by an HOA. I knew
when I signed the papers what the rules were. For those who hate HOAs
just don't buy into one. In my area (Phoenix) you can tell the HOA
free neighborhoods just by looking...

BTW2 my HOA allows solar panels...