Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HOAs: "No solar panels for you"

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:49:04 -0400, dgk wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:00:00 -0400, "
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:30:02 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in
news:O7mdnXeiJcfKeQrSnZ2dnUVZ_rGdnZ2d@earthlink .com:

"The government wants you to install solar panels at your house, and
will even give you a tax break to do it. But your neighbors? Maybe
not. It's a lesson Angel and David Dobs discovered when their
homeowners association north of Atlanta denied their request to
install solar panels on their roof. Neighborhood officials said the
panels would look out of place and might lower home values..."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...omeowner-group
s-16208070#.T5e33vWDl8E

At a higher level than solar panels, a home having an HOA lowers home
values.

Not buying that. There are as many, or more, who like some control over their
neighborhoods than not.

We all do to some extent. I have no HOA, but we do have zoning
requirements. I don't want someone ripping down the house next door
and building a slaughterhouse. You probably don't either. And many
homeowners in retirement communities don't want kids pounding a
basketball next to their window all day long.

Um, I'm on your side, more or less. I challenged the silly assumption that
HOAs, in general, lower property values. If that were true, builders wouldn't
start them.

My mother's community maintains all the outside of the houses
(landscaping and so on). That keeps things nice and property values
up. Nothing like a neighbor who decides that it's too much work to
paint or mow the lawn.

That's a condo, no?