Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default How necessary is gravel under concrete?

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 07:34:20 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Apr 28, 8:48*am, "Doug" wrote:

Wash away??? * *Yes it can but not common.

1 inch to me sounds like a lot but I guess a judgement call. * I think
you have a good suggestion at least for water tho I still would try to
slope the driveway away from garage if possible. *I've seen driveways
in NY and I haven't seen heave problems but I suppose it's possible,
just haven't seen it. * Good suggestion tho to ?? inches below
entrance to garage.

That's what I would have thought (about the one week) but I've seen
industrial setting where light traffic was allowed after just 3 to 4
days. *I think I heard it's ok because concrete is about at half
strength then. *I know I was very nervous when I first learned of
this. * Regardless, three weeks is overkill for most residential
driveways unless you are going to have a lot of turning or heavy
vehicles other than cars.

I agree that sand washing away is uncommon. But if the underside of
the pour is exposed, it happens. Keeping dirt, sod and etc. next to
the concrete does away with the washing out of sand.

Since neither of us can see the site, shoot it for grade, or know the
climate, I am just offering suggestions. When my garages were built, I
had the men drop the concrete about a half inch, just inside the door
( like a little pocket the door sat in) and it went out to the skirt.
Then the skirt dropped another half inch below that. Believe me it
helps in the pour rains and heaving here in Ohio.

Also, I didn't put my e450 van on my new concrete for over a month. I
parked it in a spot and didn't drive it for a couple months later. Now
I have 4 little puddles where the concrete sagged. A year later a
friend parked his 6X12 enclosed trailer in another spot for a few
months and the concrete still sagged and created small puddles. Drivng
over it probably won't do that as much as just leaving something sit
on it. Also, I have seen bus stops and exits where there is 8-12
inches of concrete pads with rebar and it still sags over time becaues
of the weight.

Hank ~~~~ learned from experience :-(

Earlier when you said an 1 inch drop I was thinking 1/2 inch myself
but it is a judgement call of course.

Yep, I won't argue with experience ...