Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default foggy headlights

willshak wrote in
m:

Herb Eneva wrote the following on 4/28/2012 6:34 AM (ET):
On my 10 year old van the headlight lens are becomming real foggy.
It`s almost as if they have been sandblasted.
What can I do to make them clear again? Can I use a buffer wheel in a
drill with some sort of rubbing compound? Please help.

I've used polishing compound with the drill and buffer and had good
results. Even the TV advertised products don't do any better.

I used plastic polish and a foam pad on my cordless drill.
But after a few months(in central Florida),it clouds up again.
the key is that the lenses are coated with a UV protectant at the factory.
I discovered a restorer kit that includes a packet of coating/sealant that
has the UV protectant,and it lasted over a year before my 94 Integra GS-R
was stolen,stripped and torched.
the name of the kit is CrystalView Headlight Restorer/Defogger,and I
bought it at WalMart for $20. It comes with polishing compound,ultrafine
sandpaper,and polishing cloths for badly scratched lenses.
I haven't seen it there lately but they may still have it at the online
WalMart store.

The MGF website is MyHeadlight.com

Disclaimer; have no financial connection with the company or WalMart.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik