Posted to uk.d-i-y
BartC BartC is offline

Default 2 combi boilers?

"kent" wrote in message
news:2859757.1168.1335380264153.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbez18...
This is probably a daft idea, but I'd be interesting to see if there is
any mileage in it! Combi boilers tend to work best in smaller properties,
so for a larger property would it be possible (or make any sense) to have
2 combi boilers serving different parts of the house?
By "larger" I don't mean a mansion I mean a 4 bedroomed house with 3
showers!
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Do they still do hot-water-only gas boilers?

I had a house a few years ago with an ancient combi downstairs, and an
equally ancient separate hot water boiler in the upstairs bathroom (which
was supremely reliable; no electrics, just gas and water, and no secondary
heat exchangers and 3-way valves to clog up. Just the occasional
transatlantic call explaining how to ignite the pilot..).

So each floor had it's own hot water source. And it came in extremely useful
when the combi started playing up. (In fact I eventually plumbed it so the
upstairs boiler supplied all the hot water.) Unfortunately when the combi
was replaced, the upstairs heater was taken out too; big mistake as I
continued having boiler problems for years.

I would go with a 2-boiler solution, although it would be wasteful if one is
only used for hot water (and will it even work if the CH flow just comes
straight back without going through radiators?).

--
Bartc