Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR TomR is offline

Default Hardwood floor install questions

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
TomR wrote:
I am about to install new 3/4-inch solid hardwood flooring in a 2nd
floor apartment -- a living room, 2 bedrooms, and 2 closets. The new
hardwood will be prefinished and probably will be Bruce solid maple
flooring
from Home Depot or a similar source, such as:

http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Ha...&storeId=10051
.
I am buying the materials. The installation will be done by either a
hardwood floor company or a contractor that I use for other work.

I can't help on the installation techniques, but I can offer a couple of
suggestions on materials that might save you bags and bags of cash.

Consider Lumber Liquidators
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/

Right this instant they're having a sale on hardwood (solid maple, 3/4 x
2", $3.29 sq/ft).

Also Floor & Decor Outlets
http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/

Their solid maple, 5/8 x 2-1/4", is $2.49 sq ft.

I've used products from both. Excellent quality and no complaints (except
you can't find an empty cart at the Floor & Decor joint).

Thanks. I went to Lumber Liquidators in Cherry Hill, NJ this past weekend
when they were having a sale. But nothing that they had on sale beat the
everyday price of $2.99 per sq. ft. for 3/4 inch by 2-1/4 inch prefinished
solid maple (or oak) that I can get at Home Depot 2 blocks down the road.

Also, I am in New Jersey and there are no Floor and Decor Outlets stores in
New Jersey or in any state nearby. Plus, their $2.49 price is for 5/8 inch
by 2-1/4 and not 3/4 inch by 2-1/4. I would rather pay a little more and go
with 3/4 inch thick instead of 5/8 inch thick hardwood for the added
strength etc.