Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How necessary is gravel under concrete?

wrote:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:39:06 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:05:55 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Pat wrote:

-snip-
You say nothing about your climate or location. Do you have freeze thaw
cycles?

I haven't seen this yet. It is of the utmost importance.

-snip-

When rebar is used, how do they keep it IN the concrete, so it's not
laying right on the ground? I figured I'd lay it across bricks, or
pieces of broken patio blocks because bricks are a little too thick.

Google 'rebar chairs' or cradles. They are plastic so they don't
wick moisture up to the rebar, helping it rust.

As far as mesh, the seems like it would be much harder to keep off the
ground.

It isn't bad-- You hook it up as you go along and make it float at
the halfway point.

OTOH-- I've done a few concrete jobs in the past 40 years. Only
one was a driveway and I was the bottom man in a crew of 6.

I'll do footings, piers, columns, and maybe a 10x10 square by myself
or with a helper. But no way would I commit to pouring several
yards on a driveway that I'd have to look at for a long time.

I'd hire it out and buy a lawn chair.

Pavers in a driveway are DIY--- concrete is for the professionals.

Jim