Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Help! Electrical problem

On 4/26/2012 9:48 PM, wrote:

I had a bad neutral connection on the entrance head to my garage some
years ago. That can cause some pretty crazy (and destructive) things to
happen. Remember, you have 240 coming in, and the neutral is the
centertap giving two 120 circuits....

The described feed to the pumphouse was/is 2-wire only...so the floating
relative to the other hot was not an issue. The well pump gets its 240V
from the other end; this is just a branch circuit for lights and a handy
outlet in the pumphouse (where the pump is no longer located; it's now
submerged in a new well that replaced the one w/ the above-ground pump
around which the house was built; pressure tank still there so guess it
should really be called the "tank house" now ).

And, I did say "ground" intending "neutral" as noted before....slip of
fingers.