Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default HOAs: "No solar panels for you"

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Somebody (Woody Allen?) said "Ninety percent of success is just
showing up!" You, and no more than five of your neighbors can
probably take over the HOA governance at the next election.

Then, as another great worthy once said, "Payback's a bitch."

A good friend tried that after their HOA president was hiring himself
for renovations (which weren't getting done). The covenants required
50% of the *members* (not just those in attendance) for any elections
and 60% for a change to the bylaws.

Possible, but I wasn't referring to a change in the by-laws; I meant a
change in the board.

To elect a board member or president, the by-laws can't require a vote of
half the property owners! Such a rule would be tantamount to "President for
Life." Once you control the board, you control the enforcement (or
non-enforcement) mechanism.

I've been to campaign management schools, run political campaigns, and held
public office. Trust me: taking control of a meeting is trivial with a
little planning.