Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Pecan bowls update

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:38:47 -0400, "G.W. Ross"
wrote:

Finished two bowls so far. It is a hard wood, but no harder than the
local elm. My biggest complaint is the porosity. After finishing the
top and sides I reverse chuck using a vacuum chuck. Even with the
finish on, they will barely stay on the chuck--you can hear the air
sucking right through the bottom.

I pre-finished one with precatalyzed tung oil. It seemed thoroughly
dry, so I steel wooled it and put on the finish. The vacuum pulled
un-dried tung oil from the pores through the finish. What a mess.

OK, I won't say that I told ya so

I still have 2 huge slabs of pecan and am thinking of chainsawing it
into firewood..