Posted to alt.home.repair
jay jay is offline

Default York Blower Motor Not Running; Error LED Blinking

On Apr 26, 9:10*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:28:45 -0400, wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:28:40 -0700 (PDT), jay
wrote:

What kind of motor is it? *Conventional or one of the
new variable speed, high efficiency, VSDC type?

After a bit of web surfing, I found out that it is a GE ECM X13 Motor.
Even found a service guide for it!

http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Part...icing_pdfs/ecm....

http://www.cfmdistributors.com/pdfs/...3MotorTech.pdf

http://www.prokupmedia.com/seminarfi...m_textbook.pdf

http://www.gotoevo.com/GEMotors.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlzN5tjUYw
Yikes, motor cost $800 in 2010.

*That's an ECM - very possible there is a control board issue. I
believe the control board is in the motor on that one. The servicing
guide gives you all the test procedures and warnings.

*Upon checking that guide - it is a sealed motor and cannot be easily
tested.

HOWEVER - You only mentioned the 115 volt connections. What about the
low voltage control connection??? * There should be a 24 volt AC
connection to terminal C and terminal 1 ( or c and 2, 3,4, or 5
depending on the programming of the motor.

It should have 115 volts on the high voltage connections AT ALL TIMES.
If putting 24 volts AC across C and 1 makes it run you have a control
problem - possibly as simple as a bad control transformer. If putting
power from c-1 does not start the motoer, and from c-2 (or any of the
other numbered terminals) makes it run you have an integrated motor
control problem and the motor will require replacement (or just let it
run at the wrong speed).

It turns out to be an ECM 230VAC 1 HP motor. Motor's L1 goes to 120VAC
(1st phase). Motor's L2 goes to 120VAC (2nd phase). To run the motor,
it needs 24 VAC between COM and any one of the following: LO, LO-MED,
MED, MED-HI, HI. All the proper voltages were present at the final
connectors to the motor, so it appears to be a bad motor. I called
York (bought out by Johnson Controls) and their customer service told
me it was still under warranty based on air handler's serial number,
but only a qualified service tech could exchange it for a new motor :
( A Genteq replacement motor (original was a GE) is available to me
for $465 from a local dealer. I guess it will be cheaper for me to pay
for a qualified service tech's labor to avoid the cost of the motor.