LRod

Default 115V vs 220V

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 02:23:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
Why? Most dual voltage motors run on windings wired series/parallel
(windings are in series with a source of 230V; parallel with a source
of 115V). In other words, regardless of how they are powered the
windings are always seeing 115V. So how would a motor running with
115V on its windings last any longer than a motor running with 115V on
its windings (or run any smoother/quieter)?

Delta claims their contractor saw motor is 1.5 HP on 115V and 2 HP on 230V.
How does this figure into the series/parallel in the windings? Or whatever?
Ed

I've seen this claim discussed before. I'll have to plead "ignorant by
internet" on this. All of my motor knowledge (what little of it there
is) has been gleaned from people who I have confidence in who have
posted in various fora. I believe them when they tell me about
series/parallel windings. And although I'm no engineer, I do have a
fairly robust knowledge of electricity, and it makes perfect sense.

Having said that, I cannot fathom the economics of building a motor
that will run on both 115V and 230V yet develop different levels of
power at those two voltages. But then I'm still fascinated by how
toilets flush, so it might not take all that much to stump me.

Frankly, I don't believe Delta's claim. But I'm not a motor guy.
However, I'll ask someone who is. He's a regular poster on a couple of
the woodworking fora and probably the smartes person I know on this
subject.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net