Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 2 combi boilers?

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
On 25/04/2012 22:26, John Rumm wrote:

Also don't ignore the possibility of using one combi to heat a cylinder
of water as well as being able to provide hot water on demand itself.

This is exactly what I specified for our extension, and was surprised
when the plumber said that it was a little unusual.

the cost of a combi and tank exceeds the cost of a system boiler and
tank really so its a waste of money with no advantages

It depends on the circumstance.

For example, I may opt for an unvented cylinder here when I replace the
boiler, but go for a combi rather than a system boiler if I can find one
that will cope with weather comp and dual temp operation. The logic
being the cylinder is clustered with all the bathrooms in the centre of
the house, but the kitchen and utility (where the boiler will be) is a
long pipe run away. So having the combi feed potable water to the
kitchen only would make sense.

The general rule is the money you have a tank dont have a combi: they
are a cheap low footprint abortion suitable for CH and one-at-a-time hot
water and if they are to given a decent hot water flow-rate more
expensive than a sealed tank and system boiler

--
Cheers,

John.