Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomsic[_3_] Tomsic[_3_] is offline

Default HOAs: "No solar panels for you"

wrote in message
On Apr 25, 7:47 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"The government wants you to install solar panels at your house, and will
even give you a tax break to do it. But your neighbors? Maybe not. It's a
lesson Angel and David Dobs discovered when their homeowners association
north of Atlanta denied their request to install solar panels on their
roof.
Neighborhood officials said the panels would look out of place and might
lower home values..."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...-homeowner-gro...

"They're just afraid that someone's going to put up this big, honking
ugly thing that reflects light and just looks ugly," he said.

Which sounds like a legitimate concern to me. I've
yet to see one installed that didn't look ugly. If you
put it on the back side of your house where no one
else can see it, then it has no effect on neighbors.
But I've seen them put right on the front of houses.
And IMO it does lower the property value.

For my next house, I'll pay extra to have solar panels already installed so
I can enjoy lower energy bills. Maybe the hand-wringers in Atlanta should
just mandate the use of the type of solar cells that look like roof shingles
so their aesthetic sensibilities aren't compromised.

Tomsic