Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] is offline

Default Underfloor storage and underfloor access

"David WE Roberts" wrote:

After the onset of fitted carpets the lounge trap door was inaccessible. I
wonder if the current owners even know it is there.

My previous house (built on the side of a steep hill) had a cellar I could
walk around in. I alsways considered extending the house down into it, and
the people who bought it from me actually did do that.

Anyway, when I first moved in I thought "a trapdoor would be a good idea".
When I explored the cellar, I found there was a good solid stair leading up
to what turned out to be a strong trapdoor in the hall, that some idiot had
carpeted over. I cut the carpet and edges the inside and outside edges of
the hole with the sort of carpet strip you see in doorways. I also fitted a
security lock bolt (really one meant for strengthening an outside door's
locks), not to prevent thieves, but so that if there were any kids in the
house they couldn't open the hole and fall down it.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".