Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
G.W. Ross G.W. Ross is offline

Default Pecan bowls update

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 04/24/2012 07:38 AM, G.W. Ross wrote:
Finished two bowls so far. It is a hard wood, but no harder than the
local elm. My biggest complaint is the porosity. After finishing the top
and sides I reverse chuck using a vacuum chuck. Even with the finish on,
they will barely stay on the chuck--you can hear the air sucking right
through the bottom.

I pre-finished one with precatalyzed tung oil. It seemed thoroughly dry,
so I steel wooled it and put on the finish. The vacuum pulled un-dried
tung oil from the pores through the finish. What a mess.

Looking forward to some photos. Interesting about the vacuum chuck.
How many psi are you pulling? What finish are you using over the tung oil?

...Kevin

Sorry, posted on the wrong NG. My max is about 24 inches of HG. My
next bowl had the pores sealed with Crystallac clear grain filler. It
is a mess to sand, but it held a vacuum very well.

The first bowl was sealed with LV polymerized tung oil sealer, which I
sometimes use to bring out the colors of the wood.

My final finish is shellac/wax and buffed. This usually works very
well after overnight drying of the tung oil sealer.

--
G.W. Ross

A good pun is its own reword.