Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
G.W. Ross G.W. Ross is offline

Default Pecan bowls update

Finished two bowls so far. It is a hard wood, but no harder than the
local elm. My biggest complaint is the porosity. After finishing the
top and sides I reverse chuck using a vacuum chuck. Even with the
finish on, they will barely stay on the chuck--you can hear the air
sucking right through the bottom.

I pre-finished one with precatalyzed tung oil. It seemed thoroughly
dry, so I steel wooled it and put on the finish. The vacuum pulled
un-dried tung oil from the pores through the finish. What a mess.
--
G.W. Ross

Hardly a driver / Is now alive / Who
passed / On hills / At 75 / Burma-Shave