Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC[_2_] TMC[_2_] is offline

Default Underfloor storage and underfloor access

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"TMC" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Two questions in a single thread :-)

Firstly, when we finally get our ground floor revamp under way we will
be replacing the floorboards with chipboard to get a level across
various different underfloors, then putting some kind of laminate
(probably) on top.

There will be quite a lot of stuff including plumbing, soil pipes and
electrics under the suspended floor so if we need to access them in the
future this could be a little tricky without ripping up large areas of
flooring.
So (assuming there is enough crawl space under the floor) has anyone
built a trap door to allow under floor access?

Again, if there is a significant underfloor void, has anyone used this
for storage?
Trap door over a mini wine cellar (one bottle deep, perhaps) sounds
possible.

Cheers

Dave R

Cellar?

Coal store with access from the pavement to pour coal in

didn't most victorian terraces use the underfloor void for storage?

trap doors can be a little narrow depending on joist spacing

easy to cut out a section of joist and fix cross timbers same as
enlarging a loft hatch

1930s semi and no cellar (worse luck - always wanted one).
Just pondering on using the resources (if any) under the house.
The house I grew up in had a large trapdoor under the lounge floor and a
decent under floor void.
Floor joists ran across mini brick walls and the foundations were concrete
all the way across.
In the early 1960s with my brother in charge we rewired the ground floor
of the house from 5/15 amp to 13 amp by crawling around under the floor.
We first put a second hatch under the stairs because lifting the lounge
carpet all the time was a pain.
After the onset of fitted carpets the lounge trap door was inaccessible.
I wonder if the current owners even know it is there.

I think I have confirmed that I need a trapdoor somewhere discreet like
under the stairs.

Just leaves the question of under floor storage.
Possibly like you get in yachts where a trap door lifts and you can keep
your beer cool in the bilges :-)

Cheers

Dave R

if the house is on a slope then the bit furthest down is likely to have a
decent void

My Mum and Dad's bungalow has almost no void at the front (just one
bluebrick here and there below the joists)

At the rear the void is big enough to stand up in

we though about making a wine cellar but the integrated garage on the north
side of the house was well cool enough

Regards