Posted to uk.d-i-y
Muddymike[_2_] Muddymike[_2_] is offline

Default Parquet floor treatment

On Apr 24, 12:09 pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
We have 1930s oak parquet flooring in our lounge and entrance hall. It
was
professionally cleaned and re polished some 2 years ago but is not
looking
that good, and requires a lot of maintenance.
Does anyone have experience of a longer lasting finish that requires less
maintenance? It currently only looks good when still freshly washed and
still wet so a product that gives that freshly washed look would be good.

Mike

I would only wash a wooden floor in extremis. The traditional method
for parquet is old-fashioned wax polish. my parents, which has had
over 50 years of it looks fantastic.

Jonathan

So how do they clean it? We use a wooden floor soap recommended by the guy
that cleaned and re-polished it. Ours have been badly abused by past owners,
covered with fitted carpets and loads of spilt paint! The guy that did the
re-polishing used an expensive 2 pack polish and it looked great for a
while, sadly he is no longer around for advice.

Mike