Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fork lift info

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 06:04:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

But both mechanical and electric fuel pumps generally keep the float
bowl full, and there would be gas in the carb when you went to start
it ten minutes or more later. Your complaint has holes in it.

No my initial description had holes in it. It lights if it was running
OK when left alone. But just like my old Dayton genset, that updraft
carb takes a BIG swallow of gas on cranking, and what's in the bowl
doesn't last long enough to get the 'sputters' out.

I find if I wet-prime the filter before I crank it the first time, it
runs long enough to re-establish prime -- maybe a minute and a half. If
I don't, it dies in about 30 seconds, and must be primed anyway.

You might check your gas cap. Plugged caps can cause similar traits.

I admit that sounds like a low float settings, because I'd think what was
in the bowl should last longer than that.

Larry, like with a lot of cars, everything is up hill from the tank.

The last time the forklift guy was here on rcm, he disputed something I
said, and I agreed with him, and bowed to his expertice. But he wasn't
high-handed about his knowlege, and didn't assume I was stupid. He just
described the actual Hyster lift characteristics I mistook.

Well, I didn't mean to come across that way, and stated that the Clark
guy probably had more info than a mechanic. shrug

You _started_ by stating that what I've actually seen with my empty,
gasoline-free hose coming out of the tank is impossible, then went down-
hill from there.

No, I actually just shifted from the pickup tube to the carb.

How would you feel if someone told you, "Dummy, you have to put a
standard transmission in gear before the car will go up a hill", when you
told them it had a broken ring gear in the pumpkin?

g Point taken. But do you really feel that I was -that- pedantic?

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,