Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fork lift info

Someone here was a certified forklift repair tech. I've lost the
history.

I bought an old (1978) ClarkLift 2000lb machine to help moving projects
around the shop. Got it for 3K delivered, and it runs well and is dry
everywhere (!).

It has only one problem that someone else hasn't already bypassed,
removed, or re-engineered -- The dip tube in the fuel tank must
(probably) has a hole in it. It loses its prime after sitting for as
little as 10 minutes. The tube outlet block/fitting appears to be welded
to the tank, so no removing the tube to replace or repair it -- without
some fancy torch work INSIDE the body of the machine (before you say
it... NO! I won't G)

It has an electric pump installed to replace the engine-driven one, and
the electric apparently can self-prime, but not fast enough to suit the
"start-and-go" mentality. So right now, I'm throwing an ounce of fuel
into the air cleaner intake to get it started. No biggy, but I don't
want to start removing stuff until next week, after I get some big pieces
moved.

SO... Is this tank welded in? Can it be removed, cleaned, replaced? If
not, I think the strategy would be to build a box inside the bustle, and
install a new (maybe smaller) tank, with the top of the draw tube about
level with the carb.

Thanks,
Lloyd