Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Sawsall Blade types for Wall Removal

posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:04:01 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Good ideas, but this is a demolition job of the old part of the house.
The newer part was already cut away and walled off. No plumbing in
there since it was removed first. If I cut wires that dont matter, the
power is off and all the wire is being very old K&T or cloth covered
romex which will be sold for scrap. While removal of plaster would
help, because of fallen parts of the roof and other things that
collapsed, it's too dangerous to go inside. The walls are being cut
into sections from the outside and dragged with machinery to a burn
pile.

This is different than originally thought. Either rent a
Bobcat or backhoe and have at it.

I own a Bobcat, as well as a farm Tractor. If I slammed the Bobcat into
the building, I'd probably have the wall fall on myself and the Bobcat,
and likely end up withe the Bobcat in the basement. Not to mention that
I dont want the walls falling on the part of the building that is being
saved. The way I'm doing it works fine and is safe. I just need a
better blade for cutting. So far I braced the gable end with chains and
come-alongs to nearby trees. Then cut the wall horizontally at the top
of each window on that side, leaving the corner studs only cut part way.
Then release the come-alongs, and connect those chains to a long steel
cable. Connect that cable to the tractor, (which is 60 feet away), and
pulled it down. Then dragged it away from the house, and use the Bobcat
to push it over to my burn pile. Now I'm cutting the walls into strips
about 6 feet wide and doing the same thing. Then I burn that pile, and
the next day take more down. I have to admit I had to put tire chains
on the tractor, and dug them into the ground a good foot before pulling
down these walls. The studs are all hardwood.

This just cleared the part near the section that is being saved. When I
take down the other part, which is far enough away from the saved
section, I'm not going to cut it apart. I have a neighbor coming with
his huge tractor. The plan is to cut the corner studs, connect 3 chains
to each tractor and pull the entire thing down, roof and all. There is
a 27 foot tall brick chimney in there, I'm still not sure how that's
gonna come down., but it will!!! This will be videoed.

I am surprised they allow you to burn this stuff.

--
Tekkie