Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah[_2_] gonjah[_2_] is offline

Default Pool owners ~ Hardness Control

On 4/22/2012 11:45 PM, SMS wrote:
On 4/20/2012 10:56 PM, gonjah wrote:
......or calcium chloride

I need about 10 lbs a year for my pool.

I was just quoted about $20 for 10lbs.

Anyone have good cheap source they want to share?

Usually a locally owned pool store, not a national chain pool store,
is best for pool chemicals. I.e. I go to a store where 12% chlorine in
returnable bottles is $2.50/gallon, while at Leslie's, much weaker
chlorine is about $4.50/gallon.

For phosphorus remover, Leslie's sells Phos-Free which is much less
concentrated/more expensive than the Kem-Tek phosphorus remover. I
expect the same is the case for harness increaser. Also, Leslie's has
stopped selling dry chemicals in plastic buckets which is really
annoying (at least this was the case last time I was in there).

What's your dosage on Kem-Tek?

Someone here turned me on PR-10000 it and it is fantastic. This IS the
bomb for phosphate remover. It's saved me boocoo bucks and my pool is
always clear now. Stuff is amazing. I use it in my gold fish pond too!
Totally non-toxic.

http://www.saltcells.com/phosphate-r...000-p-875.html

I'll never buy Phosfree again. I told my pool supply store they should
dump that stuff. Total rip off.

Remember that chlorine tablets will result in cyanuric acid building
up to undesirable levels, requiring the complete or partial draining
of the pool, since there are no neutralizers for cyanuric acid being
sold. If the cyanuric acid is too high then the chlorine loses
effectiveness.

Rather surprising that you need to keep adding calcium chloride, since
it should not be necessary unless you are draining and refilling.

It uses very little. I think I've added it once in 8 years? Probably
because I have a slow leak. I need to do repairs and I say every season
this is the one. I know I said 10# a year but I don't know where that
came from. Old age I guess.

It really not a big deal but I thought I should run it by here because
I've you never know.

Thanks