Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool Washer, trap/filter cap busted

Post some model numbers, etc. I will call my parts house, and see if they
can get the freaking cap separately.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about freaking
www.freaking.org
..

"MMark" wrote in message
Hi...

Seems I have a while before any parts stores will be open, so I
thought I'd ask on here...

We have a 5-yr-old Whirlpool Duet, front-loading washer. A couple of
weeks ago, as part of spring cleaning, we washed the bath mats and a
couple of them started falling apart, so today I thought I'd DIY my
annual/semi-annual routine of cleaning out the filter trap. Went
about as usual (or so I thought). I put the cap back in and started
to load some laundry.

What I didn't notice in time was that the cap to the filter developed
a stress fracture, so when the laundry started, water started running
out the bottom through the crack in the cap.

After cleaning up all the water, I started looking for replacement
parts... Lowes doesn't carry them, and all the Sears parts depts were
closed on Sunday... I got the pdfs of the manuals and parts manuals.
To my surprise the part number going with the filter cap turned out to
be for the whole drain pump assembly. I called the Sears part line
and the woman on there was puzzled to find the same thing. She also
told me nobody would be open today.

I did some searches on-line, and the price for the whole assembly was
between $75-150, which seems a bit steep for replacing a plastic cap.

So, since I've got some time, anyone have any ideas where I might get
just the replacement cap instead of the whole freaking pump assembly?

Thanks
Mark