Posted to uk.d-i-y
brass monkey brass monkey is offline

Default Pump on flow or return?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Thats not enough to matter, because the pump
has to be able to handle the maximum temp the
water can be when all the radiators are turned off etc.

Why would you be running your boiler when all the radiators are off?

Most obviously when it can be cold enough to need heating and you
get a warm spell that doesn't need heating. We get that most years.

If your house is warm enough, the boiler should switch off.

They don't switch off as soon as there is no radiator on.

Mine does,

We'll see...

I have a room stat.

A single stat aint gunna tell you when no radiator is on.

We don't need to know about that, if the room stat says it's warm enough,
the boiler shuts down.
With a wireless stat you can put it in the room most important to you at the
time.
Pretty basic stuff.

I don't understand people without one.

The location of the pump has to allow for whatever is seen on that
question of room stats.
Running the pump and boiler when you need no heat is insane.

Yes, but if the no need for heat is relatively short term due
to an unseasonal patch of warmer weather during the day
doesn't mean that it makes any sense to shut down the
boiler completely. It may still need some heat at night etc
or when the unseasonally warm ending.

Well yea, if you're burning logs it's a bit of a bugger having to **** on it
during a warm patch then go find the matches later.

It's like leaving your car engine running all the time.

Nothing like in fact. There will always be some times
of the year when you don't need any heating in the
warmest part of the day, but do again at night etc.
I'm talking about the pump being hot all the time.

Sure, but since the pump has to be able to handle
the times when all the radiators are off, it will handle
the higher temp when on the supply side fine.

It's a pump design thing, not the time at the higher temp thing.

A higher temp will wear it out quicker.

Nope, not when the pump is designed to
handle the temp when all the radiators are off.

It might be designed to handle it sometimes, not continuously.

Have fun spelling out how that is done with a pump.
You can drive your car at 120mph occasionally.
But if you do that all the time, it will wear out faster.

Cars are nothing like boiler pumps life wise.

Which do you believe lasts longer?

Irrelevant to where the pump is located with most systems.