Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How busy do you want your roofer to be?

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Apr 21, 4:58*pm, Red Green wrote:
Home Guy wrote :

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Roofing has got to be the most fly-by-night industry there is,
with a high percentage of transient workers.

You are kidding right? You *have* to be.

No. *I'm not kidding.

I have a hammer. I have nails. I have people. If it's only about
the price of labor, why don't I just do it myself?

Many people do that (do it themselves).

The biggest issue is having a few extra people to get the job done
in under 2 or 3 days.

Contrary to popular belief, most DIY's don't have access to 4 or 5
"friends" who are willing and able to put down their keyboards for
a few days straight and get all roughed up and bruised to help tear
off and put up some shingles.

Oh yeah...maybe it's about quality of workmanship, know-how and
someone to call back if there's a problem.

Now I ask - you're kidding - right?

This is roofing we're talking about. *It's not rocket science.

Not pointing to you directly but many who said this indeed go up and
put up a nice looking roof...and **** it up with a time
bomb...because in a couple of years (or less) problems come up. They
screw up the flashing, valleys, skylights, etc.

And if you were any kind of man, you'd be up there on your roof
with them - performing your own examination and being critical of
their work WHILE THEY'RE DOING IT. *Maybe even give them a hand,
moving bundles around, helping with the chalk lines.

From a repair I did. Siding rotting on both sides of a chimney:

Here's a jaboni who had no clue what kickout flashing
was:http://oi43.tin

ypic.com/j8jn7q.jpg

And when you start to take it
apart:http://oi40.tinypic.com/1xz3nk.jpghtt

p://oi43.tinypic.com/2uhwhg0.jpghttp://oi44.tinypic.com/166yfc7.jpg

And the other side...http://oi40.tinypic.com/jqhpvp.jpg

What should have been done:http://oi41.tinypic.com/30w30jq.jpg

And they wouldn't have to pay big bucks to get it back
like:http://oi43.t

inypic.com/2h5sbxi.jpg

The end result looks great. Nice job.

Thanks. Appreciate the compliment.