Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah gonjah is offline

Default How busy do you want your roofer to be?

On 4/22/2012 7:57 AM, Home Guy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

summer roofs lay better, smooth and likely the shingles stick
down better to.

i know for a fact cold weather is a bad time to install roofs.

and black is a poor color choice in most places.

All true.

No.

Spring and fall are better times to put up shingles vs summer (from the
pov of the comfort and exertion of the installers). You don't want to
handle and walk on shingles in the heat of summer.

The shingles will stick just fine once they get hot (and they will
eventually get hot once summer rolls around) and they will "smooth" out
over time (not that I buy the idea that they can somehow be laid
anything but flat and smooth regardless the temperature).

I agree that black is the worst color to have for shingles (because of
heat) followed by the very lightest colors (because of staining).

What I'm doing next time is getting the southern exposure done in as
white as possible and the north in whatever color the wife wants. From
the street you can only see the north side anyway.

I know this idea has been kicked around before, but has anyone here
painted shingles with anything like SnowRoof? I've used on flat roofs
and duct work. The mfg site says nothing about shingles IIRC.