Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_6_] Jon Danniken[_6_] is offline

Default Slightly OT-Bench grinder disassembly

harry wrote:

There is friction where the bearings are fitted over the motorshaft.
There is a slight possibilty there are circlips on the shaft.
The bearings are pressed into the endcaps (inside circlip common here)
and a sliding fit onto the shaft. There may be a corrosion problem on
the shaft, bit of WD40 and might help round the shaft.
You will need a tool to pry apart,do it evenly (ie all round the
joint.) An old wood chisel if you have nothing else and a hammer
perhaps.

It's important to re-assemble the caps in exactly the same position as
they came off.
Put a scratch mark across each of the two joints before dissembling.

In addition to Harry's advice, I usually find that motor shafts have
accumulated additional gunk and/or dings which make it very hard to slide
them through the bearings. To remedy this, before disassembly I will run a
fine piece of wet/dry sandpaper against the shaft as it is running. You
only need slight pressure for a small amount of time to even it out most of
the time, and you can inspect the progress by then turning it off and
inspecting the shaft by feel.

If it is shiny and feels smooth, then you can proceed to remove the bell
ends.

Jon