Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah gonjah is offline

Default How busy do you want your roofer to be?

On 4/21/2012 9:24 AM, Home Guy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Roofing has got to be the most fly-by-night industry there is,
with a high percentage of transient workers.

You are kidding right? You *have* to be.

No. I'm not kidding.

I have a hammer. I have nails. I have people. If it's only about
the price of labor, why don't I just do it myself?

Many people do that (do it themselves).

The biggest issue is having a few extra people to get the job done in
under 2 or 3 days.

Contrary to popular belief, most DIY's don't have access to 4 or 5
"friends" who are willing and able to put down their keyboards for a few
days straight and get all roughed up and bruised to help tear off and
put up some shingles.

Oh yeah...maybe it's about quality of workmanship, know-how and
someone to call back if there's a problem.

Now I ask - you're kidding - right?

This is roofing we're talking about. It's not rocket science.

And if you were any kind of man, you'd be up there on your roof with
them - performing your own examination and being critical of their work
WHILE THEY'RE DOING IT. Maybe even give them a hand, moving bundles
around, helping with the chalk lines.

I'm not following. Any decent contractor would want you to watch, but
help? I don't think so.

If I understand correctly, roofing companies can contract out jobs but
they still need to supervise the work. If they get way too busy they
can't even do that effectively. The company I hired supervised "some" of
the work they contracted out but the part that wasn't supervised leaked.

FWIW: I'd suggest "not" getting the work done after a bad hail or wind
storm. Check the company out at the BBB and get references.