Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multifunction Tool - does anyone use lower speeds with this tool?

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:51:50 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Bob F wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:14:35 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

It seems to me that the high speed vibration is this tools big
advantage, and that slowing it down will just make it shaky and less
effective. Do you really use the lower speeds for anything useful?

Wish I could remember better and say for sure, but as I recall when I
used my variable to cut out door stops to fit in thresholds, I had it
cranked all the way up even when starting the cuts.
Same when sanding with it. Just used if for those 2 things so far.

So far, nobody has claimed to use the lower speeds, suggesting to me
that the variable speed units are a waste of money.

Every once in a great while, I'll use a lower speed on my hand drill - such
as putting a hole in a steel bar, but most of the time, even with a drill,
it's full military power, all ahead flank.

That's a good way to ruin bits (and your arm ;-).

Come to think on it, do they even MAKE a variable speed power saw? Or table
saw? I have used "double-speed" soldering irons and multi-speed Dremels, but
there aren't many tools with selectable speeds.

Do you use different sized blades on your saw? (Dados are usually smaller
because they do hog out far more wood, thus take more power). Drill bits vary
over at least a 30:1 range, so need a variable speed. Keeping the (linear)
speed of the cutting edge (more or less) constant requires a variable speed.
This isn't an issue with a saw.