Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Booting problem - Toshiba Netbook NB200

John Rumm wrote:

On 19/04/2012 19:14, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Yes I realise all that. However I got the impression (admittedly reading
a little between the lines) that Paul was really referring to the CMOS
battery backed storage rather than the flash, since corrupt CMOS data
can bork a machine on startup... however I will let him confirm one way
or another.

That would make a lot of sense. The CMOS RAM needs power to retain its
contents and it is likely kept going by a lithium battery. Lithium batteries
put out less power when cold, and if allowed to cool in a freezer will
stop completely causing the memory to reinitalize when restarted.

It makes a lot more sense to remove the lithium cell and short out
the battery holder.

Many motherboards have a jumper for doing just this (easier than
removing the cell from its holder). Laptops not always as easy.

I've repaired hundereds of desktop computers.

I have a fairly new Dell laptop with a bad cell. You have to take
the damn thing into over 20 pieces to get to it, when it would have been
simple to put it under one of the covers on the bottom, or under the
battery pack.