Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Booting problem - Toshiba Netbook NB200

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.repair.]
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

It makes a lot more sense to remove the lithium cell and short out
the battery holder.

There is a difference between an explanation making sense, and doing it.
:-)

Besides, that may not be possible, it may be an integrated CMOS chip and
battery.

I haven't seen them since the early Pentium days. (Late '90s) In
fact, I have pulled the cover off some of those old Dallas RTC modules
to remove the dead cell and installed an external socket for the new
cell. It was mounted on a small piece of perf board and screwed to one
of the blank filler plates. That was over 10 years ago and I don't
remember seeing any, since then.

I used CapStore RAM to replace those annoying battery backed 2k*8
modules. It had flash RAM, Static RAM and a supercap to allow it to
write the contents of the static RAM to the Flash RAM when power was
lost. On powerup, it wrote the contents back to the Static RAM. That
was for a communications system we built for the space station. Those
lithium cells were banned from all aerospace equipment built for NASA.