Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Last Project Completed

On 04/19/2012 07:31 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 04/19/2012 06:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 04/19/2012 08:08 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Thank you! A good backup strategy will never come close to a
terabyte for a good sized corporation, let alone any PC home
applications.

Ackshooly, when you start saving all your hi def pics and videos of
grandkids, the gigabytes just roll by, then when you start downloading
movies, well...

I stuck a couple of 2TB drives in my linux print/scan/file/backup
server using software RAID1.

Yesbut, you don't need to repeatedly backup all of that data. A good
backup
strategy only backs up changed data. Though, as I said in a previous
reply,
at the price of storage, it's probably moot.

That's why I mentioned "incremental". The backuppc server app keeps one
full every week and incrementals every day until the next week, so at
most you have two fulls and six incrementals depending on the day in the
cycle. And I also mentioned compression which in my case seems to reduce
the load to between 1/2 and 1/3 of real size. Of course, you can
configure whatever schedule you'd like and whatever compression ratio
you can afford the time for.

....and also, the backuppc app does a hash on the files and if it finds
dups, it increments the count but doesn't have to save the dup. when
the count goes to zero, so does the file when considering all the fulls
and increments.