Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Booting problem - Toshiba Netbook NB200

John Rumm wrote:

Yes I realise all that. However I got the impression (admittedly reading
a little between the lines) that Paul was really referring to the CMOS
battery backed storage rather than the flash, since corrupt CMOS data
can bork a machine on startup... however I will let him confirm one way
or another.

That would make a lot of sense. The CMOS RAM needs power to retain its
contents and it is likely kept going by a lithium battery. Lithium batteries
put out less power when cold, and if allowed to cool in a freezer will
stop completely causing the memory to reinitalize when restarted.

Geoff.

In 1969 the US could put a man on the moon, now teenagers just howl at it. :-(