Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Last Project Completed

Swingman wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 4/19/2012 10:08 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Thank you! A good backup strategy will never come close to a
terabyte for a good sized corporation, let alone any PC home
applications.

Even small businesses these days, particularly using media like
videos and multitrack recording for will run through a terabyte of
data in short order, and data that must be backed up with regard to
version control makes it even worse.

Oh stop Swing. What are you speaking about when you say videos and
multitrack recording? Even in a recording environment, a terabyte
is a lot of data. But - even if there are specialized industries
that do indeed require that kind of storage, it's still very far
from the topic at hand, which is more about PC storage - for the
most of us. Again - even very significant corporations do not
require this level of backup. The fact that a particular niche may
require it is the anomoly.
This was a huge, and expensive, problem ten years when I was still
participating in the operation of a commercial recording studio, and
today's requirements are even more demanding.

So no, in reality, you can't say that ...

I absolutely can. Read what I wrote. I did not address niche
industries like commercial recording. As I stated - good sized
corporations and home PC's do not require this level of backup
capacity.

I provided some examples of less than "good sized corporations" that
easily do exceed your data storage requirements. If you don't think
that "good sized corporations" don't have "niche" departments in their
structure that engender EXACTLY these kind of data storage
requirements, it makes your statement even more apparent that you're
living in the past.

I never said - or even implied that large volumes of data are not archived.
I simply stated that good sized corporations do not require TB storage
capacity for a good backup scheme. Read up on backup strategies and then
you'll see what I am saying. Sure - there are exceptions to this
statement - I never claimed there were not.

Welcome to the 21st century, just five years ago:

I have made a career in this or similar industries. I'm plenty more than 5
years current.

Notably, TheInfoPro's Wave-9 Survey of companies showed about 70% of
corporate data is duplicates. TheInfoPro did not survey small
companies or small home offices, the ranks of which represent 700,000
companies with revenue of $200 million or less. But Robert Stevenson,
managing director at TheInfoPro, estimated those small companies have
from 500GB to 1TB of data today, and that they are experiencing the
same exponential data growth as larger companies.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...in_three_years

And again, that was five years ago.

Context Swing - context.

Cite some evidence to backup your "I absolutely can.". I still don't
think you can.

That's fine. I don't really have the energy right now for another internet
****ing context. Maybe tomorrow I will...

--

-Mike-