Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Last Project Completed

On 4/19/2012 10:08 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/18/2012 7:55 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Tera bytes? Is anyone involved in this thread even thinking about
realistic needs? Come on - terabytes?

I was thinking as I read that...what the hell are people storing ?

Exactly what I was thinking. Back in the day, we made decions about what to
back up because it served no purpose to back up entire disk images when only
a small amount of data changed. It was not just about cost either - though
that certainly was a consideration.

People have stuff! My dad still has the very first e-mail that he
received 15 years ago, and I swear they are all in his in box. LOL. He
HAS reached the end of the internet.

Way back when I recall having DOS back up programs that would load at
the a or c prompt. I trusted those but it took a load of floppies. I
no longer trust images as most every image program over the years has
had some kind of problem. So if my system crashes I am going to simply
reinstall the OS and my programs and have a fresh clean start. And then
copy my data files back in.

Currently I have a 128 GIG solid state primary c: drive that basically
has nothing but the OS and program files. I have a 1 terabyte data
drive With all my data that I want to keep, going back 25 years. I have
used "SEVEN" percent of the drive

I was also thinking that if I had a terabyte drive filled up, that I
reached the point of having a wee too much data/pictures/movies/music.

I think if you have a terabyte drive filled with data you just might
have a problem LOL.. Hoarder.

My thoughts exactly. But, I suppose when it's cheap - what the heck...

My newly minted son-in-law was telling us that he now had 80,000+
songs stored on various devices..... I wondered how the hell does he
find anything ?

I bet you that he does not know 1/4 of what he has on there.

80,000 songs!?!?!?!? I agree - how in the heck do you take advantage of
that?

Yeah that is only 166 days of continuous listening.