Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default power distribution box

On 4/19/2012 11:22 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On 4/19/2012 5:53 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote [I3 Ox-Gard]

On automotive and the like the biggest problem is the preponderance
of tiny multiple connections and that it is conductive so that
getting any in the wrong place is a definite no-no. You definitely
don't want it in a taillight socket, say. That's why there's
dielectric grease...

The connector pins are plated with tin and maybe lead, so the contact
isn't copper to copper.

A glob of Ox-Gard reads open on the 2 Megohm scale. I don't have a
functioning Megger or insulation tester to measure its high voltage
leakage or breakdown voltage. Maybe I will in two weeks:
http://www.near-fest.com/

My guess is that the dispersion of zinc dust in grease isn't
conductive until compressed in a joint. Nevertheless I brushed on only
a tiny amount, carefully, and wiped the connector faces. I had used
silicone on the Mass Air Flow sensor until confirming that its output
is an amplified low impedance voltage instead of the bridge wires.

Interesting; I've not used it but a different anti-ox product for Al
wiring; was thinking of conventional wiring in the Cu-Cu even though the
app was on automotive or similar-style connections so mixed metaphors
there, so to speak.

It's interesting as G-B promote the metallic conductivity as a feature
and the abrasive nature to work through the oxide layer as the design
feature. But, there is no available technical data backing up the
claims I could find on the web site at least in a very quick look-see.

I still kinda' doubt it's the problem w/ the other connections, though,
even w/ Cu altho guess anything's possible given the right
circumstances/materials for galvanic action or similar processes.