tim

Default Tariff 19? Economy 7 meter change

wrote in message ...
glenn wrote:

thought it was 2.00 am till 8.00 a.m.

I was on economy 7 until a couple of years ago, i think it has a 1 hour
boost at some time in the afternoon.

... but that's nothing to do with the cost of the electricity.

All the Economy 7 tariffs I've seen simply change the price of your
electricity for a period overnight, it's cheaper from about 00:30 to
07:30 but the times can be variable due to innaccuracies in the clock
settings and to BST/GMT changes.

The time clock (if any) which controls your storage heaters is quite
independent of the Economy 7 settings,

This is wrong. In a properly set up system, the time clock that
switches the meter between over the High/Low tariffs is the same
one that is used to turn the heaters on. Of course you can set it up
wrongly with two clock if you like.
Tariffs that have an afternoon boost are not E7 and it could be that
this boost is provided at the normal rate.

Tim

it will usually heat up the storage
heaters in the later part of the Economy 7 cheap period. If it has a
'boost' period in the late afternoon or evening that electricity will
cost the full day time price.

Systems where the storage heaters are independently wired to an entirely
separate meter are quite different and I'm not even sure if there are
such systems around now.

--
Chris Green )