Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tangerine3@toyotamail.com is offline

Default Sawsall Blade types for Wall Removal

Trying to cut away large sections of walls to be removed, which are
plastered with lath and plaster (not sheetrock). This involves cutting
thru the exterior of the house siding, 1" boards under it, and some
studs. I was using a chainsaw, which worked fine for the first couple
feet, but then the teeth got real dull. I was careful to avoid nails,
but it's hard to keep from hitting that plaster, since there are globs
between the laths.

I just sharpened the chain again, but decided I'll have to sharpen this
chain many times before I finish this job, and will probably have to buy
a new chain by the time I'm finished. I think that my sawsall might be
a better choice since the blades are cheaper and much easier to replace.
My question is the type of blade to use. Do they make any blades
intended for demolition? I will continue to do my best to avoid nails,
but there is no guarantee, and I'll hit at least some plaster no matter
what. Do they make carbide tipped blades for a sawsall? (I may try to
use my circular saw with a carbide blade for the straight cuts too). At
least with the circular saw the depth of cut can be controlled better to
avoid the plaster. However, the circular saw cant do much for cutting
out studs, which is where I must use the sawsall, and where it will hit
plaster.

One other thing, there is pink fiberglass insulation in the walls. Does
fiberglass dull blades? While it's easy to cut, I wonder if fiberglass
acts as an abrasive to dull them, since it is a glass product??????

Thanks