Posted to alt.home.repair
Rebel1 Rebel1 is offline

Default What causes warped entry door?

On 4/18/2012 7:40 PM, Joe wrote:
On Apr 18, 1:59 pm, wrote:
This house had a double wooden entry door, each door being about 40"
wide. One is rarely used; the other is for everyday use. The everyday
door is bowed at the latch side toward the inside of the house by about
1/8-3/16". (The hinge side is okay.) So to engage the latch and
deadbolts into their strike plates, one must push the lock area really
hard toward the outdoors or slam the door closed hard.

The first thing I will try doing is repositioning the door stops. I've
read several methods for reversing the warp, and may try one of those
measures.

The real question is why should just one of the doors warp? Both are
exposed to the same temperature differentials. Both doors have outer
storm doors with glass panels during New Jersey's winter season. The
colors on both sides of both doors match, but I can't guarantee that
both sides of both doors are painted with the same type paint (latex vs.
oil). The house was built in 1993.

R1

Your house was built with contractor grade doors, now reaching their
terminal expected life. Such products are subject to all of the
problems that lower quality millwork exhibits, for reasons well
described in posts above. It is futile to worry about it, just accept
the fact that if you want something better, start shopping now for the
replacements that will meet your requirements. There are better door
systems these days other than wood which are very attractive.
Fiberglass is an excellent choice for superior performance and
appearance. It is highly likely that one of those will be your best
choice.

Joe

Joe,

Good tip for replacement door, if the owner decides to go that way. It
would seem a shame to also replace the good door, but may be necessary
to preserve the matched look.

R1