Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default OT Taxes My Proposed Taxes Fairness Bill of 2012

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

Let me try this one more time as I am obviously having problems
explaining it. My figures are taxes paid as a %age of AGI. AGI is all
income minus a few things every body takes off like deductions. What I
am quoting is looking at the bottom line and dividing that by AGI. It is
all of the various brackets and things like cap gains melted together,
the final taxes due computed and THEN divided by the AGI.

You've never completed a Schedule D, have you?

Yeah.

Did you even read the article I cited?

Yeah

Long-term capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than earned income. Period.

Never said otherwise. I am saying that when you look at all of the
different rates that are applied to all of the various income streams
(and remember even regular income has different %age applied as you get
higher), find the amount of taxes actually paid and divide that by AGI,
you find that as you go higher on the food chain..as an average.. the
rate goes up.
e fact still remains that the higher your income, the

And I have a *major* problem with someone whose income from capital gains
far
exceeds
my income from salary paying a lower rate than I do.

Why, other than it offends you? (serious question, honest)

Because it's fundamentally unfair: apart from exemptions for the very poor,
everyone
should pay the same rate.

But then you wouldn't have a progressive tax rate, which seems to be
the antithesis of what you are asking for.

BTW: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development which is
based in Paris and spells "organization" funny and thus is European and
Great and Noble, noted that the U.S. "has the most progressive tax
system and collects the largest share of taxes from the richest 10% of
the population." It also shows that the U.S. collects more household tax
revenue from the top 10 percent of households than any other country and
extracts the most from that income group relative to their share of the
nation's income.

The study also shows that while most countries rely more on cash
transfers than taxes to redistribute income, the U.S. stands out as
"achieving greater redistribution through the tax system than through
cash transfers."

"Growing Unequal? Income Distribution and Poverty in OECD Countries,"
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, 2008. p. 112.