Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Transformer help with 3-phase

Keith Marshall wrote:

I mostly wanted to know if 2 phases of 3 phase power
might introduce a problem I wasn't aware of.

No, this is totally normal for control transformers
on a 3-phase supply. But, where does your 3 phase power come from?
Is this an industrial location with utility 3-phase, or are you using
a "phase converter" in your garage?

I'm starting to think that the problem may lie in a short on the output
which is just the coil of a contactor, but the contactor does work so I
still have to wonder. If it is causing too much load then it may be that
the first time I pulled the trigger to test the saw the insulating coating
on the new transformer windings began to break down and now it's to the
point where it doesnt need a load on the output for it to continue to
worsen. Since I have no way of knowing what the resistance of the
contactor coil should be I may have no choice but to purchase another
transformer, probably one with a single primary winding this time just to
be sure, and connect it but not actually pull the trigger until I know
it's not
going to smoke.

You can measure the DC resistance of the contactor coil, but that does not
indicate the AC load. Due to inductance, the current draw will be less than
the DC resistance might indicate, and when the contactor closes, the
inductance goes up further and the current decreases even more.
Since the thing still works, connect a meter in the secondary circuit and
read the current with the contactor turned on. Then, get a transformer to
suit.

Jon