Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/16/2012 10:45 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/16/2012 9:41 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What I'm trying to figure out is why you're not using your dust
collector. Ditto a $100 portable model for onsite use. The sound
level is about the same: quiet.

I don't use mine because I don't like super fine dust going to my DC.
My DC has a 1" deep pan that collects powder that the metal filter
misses. Both the metal pan and the metal filter see ONLY fine powder.
The more I use it for sanding tasks, the quicker the filter gather
powder. I usually clean it 2-3 time a year, and I do use it for my 48"
belt/disk sander. I wear ear muffs with the screaming shop vac.

The Festool is much "quieter" than any $100 unit and my DC for that

But there are quieter ones at 1/2 the price, if noise is that big an
issue. The ONLY complaint I have with mine is the noise, and I can't
hear it with my ear muffs on.

Almost all DCs I've heard are significantly quieter than any shop vac
other than the Festools. My Griz 1029 wouldn't wake up a napper in
the next room, or possibly in the same room.

That's good to know. Another thing, besides sucking power and noise, I
want to know is the hose, is it standard 2 1/2" hose or proprietary
hose? I hate proprietary stuff.

matter. When used with any of my power tools I cannot hear the Festool
vac running.

ALL this talk about quiet made me DAGS. A Dewalt D27905 which sells at
less than 1/2 the price of a Festool, lists as 58 decibels, vs the loud
Festool, which is 72 decibels. My ShopVac must be about a million.

I can't hear anything running with my shop vac, cause I have to wear ear
muffs or my ears bleed... I can run my chain saw w/o ear muffs, and it
is loud. My shop vac is not just loud, it actually hurts my ears with
the high pitched, piercing, screaming noise it makes. I got it in 1975
or 76, so can't compare to new stuff.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com