Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

From time to time I get dopey enough to think that I ought to learn

the ins and outs of unix - environment variables, shell scripting,
edlin, emacs, etc etc.

I don't use any of those.

Well neither do I.

script is for monkeys who cant write C :-)

I can't be arsed to write C any longer, so I do it all in PHP, including
CLI scripts.

Every time I try a regexp it blows up on me and I write some C code
that does EXACTLY what I want, not what some **** decided would be
useful for me to do.

regexps are line noise, by and large. As are TECO commands.

I program with a PROPER editor (Geany) in C and PHP.

TextWrangler under OS X.

Or write docs in Open Office.

After five minutes (or twenty [1] if I had been fool enough to start
emacs), I feel like throwing the computer out of the window. Then

I'm sane again until the next time. Luckily these episodes are
becoming rarer as I get older.
[1] actually it's five minutes in all cases, it's just that it

takes an extra fifteen minutes to figure out how to quit emacs.

well exactly.

The beauty of - say - a modern Gnome GUI is it behaves pretty much
like windows XXP except its faster and never crashes. Geekls may sniff
at that, bit I find it makes things easier.

Click on an editor icon, there's an editor. Nuff said.

I admit to occasionally using vi to edit root level files, but thats
cos I HAD to learn it as the ONLY editor that was ALWAYS present on
ANY *nix system.

Yep yep, I still have (actually two, for some reason) an Ultrix cheat
card for vi. But even vi has a 127-page manual that you can pay dosh
for. I've never understood why an editor should need a manual.

And I avoid editing root level files except as a last resort.

The fact is you can install linux and get networking browsing email
office (word/calc/powerpoint) plus a media player that will play DVDS
all as a standard issue distro without ever having to edit anything at
all.

And if that is your basic toolkit, there's no need top step outside
the GUI.

OS X in my case. You can also install Xcode, which I found to be a handy
way of just clicking to get the occasional C program I want to alter, to
compile/build. Such as the sqlite shell, or vasm and vlink (for
cross-assembling 68000 code). That way, I can completely ignore the
existence of 'make'.

yeah. I frigged with OSX but frankly I didn't like it.
Cant afford a decent mac..and its enough keeping my wifes G5 going
through the inevitable crashes

I thin the final nail in that coffin was when a friend brought his late
sons I phone over 'to get some pictures off'

The mac didn't recognise it. G5 wont run latest code... Linux did tho.

And yet the hardware is of comparable age.

and how hard it is to achieve it.