Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Your Opinions On "Smart Meters"

On 4/15/2012 11:33 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
in terms of energy savings, privacy, fire risk, and, most importantly,
health ramifications. Thank You.

No matter how hard the utilities try to convince the consumer that it is
for their advantage, the bottom line is that the power companies
wouldn't be doing it if it did not result in higher profits for them.
At this time in our history, when social and economic issues require
many families to work more hours/week out of the home, their
discretionary timing for the use of power is much lower than it was 20+
years ago. If no one is home, no one is going to run the high wattage
stuff unattended. You need to cook, wash, etc. when you have the
available time. Also, lots of folks are willing to spend hundreds of
$$/month on cable/wireless services and/or convenience food and may not
be worried about the inconvenience they might have to endure to save
$20-50/mo on their electric bill. I'm very skeptical that anyone other
than the executives and primary shareholders of the utilities will
obtain tangible benefits after the changeover.