Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/16/2012 11:15 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Just curious, who would recommend me to use (or not use) a jointer for
this project (thinking the process and results would be better)?

If the only thing you plan on ever building is your workbench, forget
about the jointer and borrow a hand plane from someone.

If you plan on building cabinets or furniture, a jointer would be a
nice addition to your shop.

For most people, a 6 inch jointer suffices.

A used stanley #4, #5 and #7 would also suffice, albeit require a
learning curve.

Thanks Scott. I've collected the planes at auction. I'll need to sharpen
them and find something to hold the boards (not as easy as it sounds).
I'm sure the whole process will give me a lot of joy--FAR MORE than I'd
get by just pushing the boards through a jointer! ; )

I'll still look for the number of that industrial sander...