Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

On 16/04/12 13:33, Robin wrote:

Does the use of GOTO matter much - or at all - with modern compilers?

I ask as I thought that modern compilers broke stuff down into control
structures so they didn't care if you used goto or cleverer stuff. But
pl bear in mind that for me "modern" is anything after the mid-70s ;(

The structure in program code (ie "GOTO considered harmful") is there
for the benefit of the human reader. At the very lowest level it is
little more than compare and branch all te way down. But these days
nobody goes the processors and microcode are designed to work with
compilers not hand written machine codes,

--
djc